Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Thirfty Tuesday

Welcome! Today I want to talk about a dangerous word that sometimes can get us all in trouble... Budgeting...

I'll be the first to say I haven't always been a great budgeter. Oh, I've written down plans, I've created spreadsheets and the whole nine yards. However, we always end up doing it again in a few months time as our first plan didn't stick for whatever reason.

So, lately I've been watching Jordan Page on YouTube. She has two great sites, one is Fun Cheap or Free  and the other is Budget Bootcamp. She's fun to watch on YouTube and shares some great basic budget ideas. You can check her out on her websites or spend time on her YouTube channel. (I tend to do both)

After watching several of her videos I decided to try out some things she mentions. I am trying out her Simplest Budgeting Video ever, I am working on our grocery budget this month. I have tried budgeting our groceries by the week, by the month, making lists etc. Somehow it always goes over board. So this month I'm implementing a new method. I am taking some of the tips from her and adding in my own to see how this month goes.

One thing I find is that keeping up with how much I actually spend on groceries is important. I was notorious for making multiple trips to Wal-Mart or the grocery store because we forgot something or needed this, or I just didn't want to cook what was in the house. This month, however, I have been using the Wal-Mart Neighborhood Pick-Up service (this is my referral link) to do grocery shopping and keeping a spreadsheet on what is actually going to groceries.


Wow! What a difference those two changes have made this month!!! I am serious. I was skeptical at first about the whole grocery pickup thing, but I can tell you after three weeks, I'm hooked! I am loving the not having to go through the store. More importantly, I'm loving that I just keep a window open on my computer throughout the week, add things as I see we need them, and then bam! Friday I pick up my groceries and go. On a side note, the kiddo is loving the fact that he isn't being dragged through the store either ;-).

If you haven't tried out the Wal-Mart pick up in your area, I highly recommend it. They have a 100% satisfaction guarantee. Let me tell you my experience. I picked up my groceries two weeks ago and the associate asked me did I want to check my produce. Well, I told them no I had a great experience last week I trusted them. When I got home, there were three squishy cucumbers and tomatoes that were less than delicious. I did the survey and let them know, although I still gave them a high rating and told them it was my fault.

They called me that afternoon after the survey and had me extra veggies the next week at no charge! I was shocked and pleasantly surprised.

So this month I'm implementing three things to help reduce (or try to control) my grocery spending:
1. An excel spreadsheet keeping track of what exactly is spent for groceries every time I go to the store
2. Menu planning- Plan ahead!!! This had already helped in my spending but menu planning is a must if you're going to try to save.
3. Shopping once a week - Using the Wal-Mart pickup program has been a lifesaver. You can click on my referral link here and see for yourself. (I do get $10 off my next grocery purchase if you use that referral link)

So I'm anxious to see how the rest of August goes and I'll give you a report on what worked, what didn't and what I'll keep for the following month.

What are some money saving tips you use to get your budget under control?

**There is a referral link in this post. It simply gives me $10 to shop at Wal-Mart Pick up for referring a friend that uses the service. Thanks!**

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you!