Wednesday, November 8, 2017

Women in the Word ... Philipians 4:13... Are You Content?

I'm sure you've read this scripture or heard it a thousand times over. It is encouraging, gives you strength, gives you boldness.

But have you read the scriptures right above it? Do you know that when it was written while Paul was in prison? Have you read the whole story?

I honestly had not. I mean, yes. I have read Philippians many times but never did I really pay attention to the scriptures above it. I just always skimmed over those till that one would jump off the page at me and scream, WAHOO! You can do everything with Christ who gives you the strength to do it.

Let's look at the scriptures above it.

"I rejoice greatly in the Lord that at last you have renewed your concern for me. Indeed, you have been concerned but you had no opportunity to show it. I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through Him who gives me strength"

See that bolded part up there? That. Yep. Content in all situations. Does that mean everything is going to be coming up daisy's and roses and you'll skip through life on a cloud? Nope. Not at all. 

In fact, the Word tells us that when we live for Christ, when we give our life over to him, we're going to face trouble. We are going to face adversity. We are going to have hardships and that is part of living for Christ. 



God didn't say it was going to be an easy road:

"In fact, everyone who wants to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted" 2 Timothy 3:12

We are going to face hardships in life as we walk in an ungodly world. We face struggles every day that we can learn to be content in. 

What does it mean to be content? Does it mean you're shouting for joy and running around laughing and smiling? Not necessarily. 

To be content means : 

"in a state of peaceful happiness"

Peaceful happiness. In John 16:33 Christ tells us, "I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world."

Philippians 4 tells us that we can overcome adversity. We can overcome anything this world throws at us because Christ lives in us. Yes! We can do all things through Christ! Yes, we CAN have peace and contentment when the world around us is going crazy and we wonder what we did wrong to deserve this. 

Remember you did nothing wrong! We have twisted things in our minds to say that hardship means we're doing this wrong and God is punishing us for something. That's not the truth. In Acts the early church was facing hardship because they were doing the right things. They were telling others about Jesus and the religious leaders at the time were not happy about that. 

So, when you remember this favorite scripture of so many people around the world... Don't forget... Hard times will come. Tough times can hit you when you least expect it. However, don't forget what His word tells us. We have peace through Him. He has overcome all this. We can find contentment when things are rough when we keep our eyes, hearts, and minds focused on Him. 

I encourage you to read Philippians this week. Share your thoughts on this scripture in the comments below. Ask God to help remind you that even when tough times come, He's in control. He's got this in His hands. He can help you be content in all situations, both plenty and none!

Love you all and have an amazingly wonderful day!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you!